Skin needling is also known as Collagen Induction Therapy. It is a minimally-invasive non-surgical and non-ablative procedure for facial rejuvenation that involves the use of a micro-needling device to create controlled skin injury.
HOW DOES SKIN NEEDLING WORK?
Skin needling utilizes and enhances the body’s own natural response to healing. A sterile roller with hundreds of tiny micro needles makes tiny pin pricks when passed over the skin. This causes skin cells to produce new growth factors, collagen and elastin, which in turn make skin smoother, firmer and more radiant. It is even gentle enough to be used around the eye area.
HOW SOON WILL I SEE RESULTS?
Results can be visible within a week of treatment. Your skin will progressively improve over the next few months as the healing process that rebuilds your own natural collagen and elastin continues. Optimal improvement is seen four to six months after your treatment course has finished.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF THE TREATMENT?
It is used for the treatment of various skin conditions such as wrinkles, scars, acne scars, sun damage, enlarged pores and lack of skin firmness. Thickening of the skin caused by regular skin needling has also been shown to significantly reduce the visibility of broken capillaries as well as uneven pigmentation. It is suitable for most skin types and can be used successfully alongside other treatments.
WHAT HAPPENS DURING TREATMENT?
First your therapist will ensure your skin is thoroughly cleansed. A topical anesthetic will be applied for up to 45 minutes depending on the depth of the needles being used. Then using a constant, gentle rolling motion the needles will be rolled back and forth numerous times over each skin section to be treated.
The treatment is not painful.
Vitamins A and C are critical in forming new collagen and elastin. After the treatment, Medik8 Vitamin A and C will be applied to the skin to start the rejuvenating process.
HOW MANY TREATMENTS DO I NEED AND HOW OFTEN?
A course of 4-6 treatments is recommended for optimal results. Your appointment time is usually 1-1.5 hours and treatments are done 6 weeks apart.
For best results, it is recommended that you prep your skin for at least 2 weeks prior to your professional treatment with appropriate Vit A & C serums.
WHAT WILL MY SKIN LOOK LIKE IMMEDIATELY AFTER MY TREATMENT?
You will experience mild sensitivity and redness – these are signs that the fine micro needles have penetrated the epidermis. The following are also common effects that can be expected: scratched skin appearance, swelling, stinging and itching, tightness and minimal peeling. The tiny perforations in the skin close within minutes and the sensitivity and redness is gone within 2 to 5 hours. In very rare cases, bruising may occur.
HOW LONG WILL THE RESULTS LAST?
Results can last up to 4 years. We do recommend a maintenance treatment once to twice a year to keep your results fresh. Skin needling can be done as an ongoing treatment every 6 weeks.
It is highly recommended that you follow up your treatment with MEDIK8 homecare for optimum and lasting results.
REASONS THIS TREATMENT MAY NOT BE SUITABLE:
- Active acne, history of cold sores, raised moles or warts or skin with open wounds
- Fresh sunburn, excessively sensitive skin or inflammatory Rosacea
- History of allergies, rashes, keloid scarring or poor wound healing (i.e. as in Diabetics)
- Dermatitis or other skin reactions, eczema, psoriasis and other chronic conditions
- If you have taken Roaccutane within the 6 months
- If you are using anticoagulant drugs, receiving chemotherapy or radiation therapy
WHAT AFTERCARE INSTRUCTIONS DO I NEED TO FOLLOW?
It is important that for the health of your skin and the success of your treatment that these guidelines be followed and the points noted:
- Do not use any AHA’s on the skin for 5-7 days after treatments
- No Microdermabrasion or Chemical Peel treatments for the next 2 weeks
- If you get any peeling or flaking DO NOT PICK OR PULL THE SKIN as this could lead to permanent scarring
- 100% Mineral make-up is safe to use after your treatment. Any other make-up should be avoided until the skin is completely healed (wait 48 hours post procedure).
- The use of a SPF 30+ is highly recommended for daily use